Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Heart Thoughts-First Concerns

Today marks one year ago that this journey really kicked into high gear.  I had had an appointment two weeks prior with my OB where I was measuring large, and the doctor had suggested an ultrasound at the following appointment (two weeks later) to just check on the baby.

At that appointment, they told me that I had extra amniotic fluid.  The doctor reassured me that most of the time, that doesn't mean anything.  But they did see a few concerns with the baby, including a recessed chin and possible club foot.  There was a quick mention about fluid and the brain, but they didn't say much about it.  Here is a picture of Waverly from that day.  Isn't she so cute?!?  (P.S. We hadn't found out her gender, so that's why I keep referring to her as "the baby".) 
Since there was some concern over what they saw that day, my doctor suggested I see a high-risk OB doctor and said they'd call me with that appointment.  They called later that day, and the appointment was scheduled two days later.  The speed with which that appointment was scheduled was my first indicator that something might really be wrong with the baby.  They don't usually get you in somewhere so quickly unless there's a reason to be seen right away.  I told my husband that I really wanted him to come along for that appointment, which he totally agreed with, and we waited for those two days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment