Thursday, October 9, 2014

Seizures


Last Monday evening was a scary one. We had been out as a family with some friends for dinner (at a place where kids eat free-woohoo!). On the way home, my oldest said, "I think Waverly is seizing." 

Sure enough, when I looked back at her, she was. But that's not uncommon for her, after being out somewhere. So I continued to drive home, since we were only about five minutes away at this point. But something in me knew it seemed a little different. So I drove the rest of the way home with one hand on her legs (the best I could reach and "keep an eye on her" while driving). 

As soon as we walked in the door and I got her in, I could tell these were hard seizures. She wasn't having breathing troubles, but in between each spasm and seizure she continued to twitch and tremble. She's never done that before and for that long. 

After a few more minutes, I could tell she wasn't coming out of it. So we got her rescue medicine and had to give it to her. Thankfully if worked in a matter of minutes. But of course afterward, she was completely out of it. I hated how she looked and acted-completely drugged. 

At this point it was bedtime. Instead of taking her to the ER we felt like she'd be better off at home and resting, as long as she didn't seem too compromised with her breathing from the meds. 

She's had a few episodes of harder seizures since that day last week, especially on Friday evening. But thankfully we've been able to avoid the rescue med again. 

Please pray that those seizures stay away and that this isn't becoming a "new normal" for her! 

Here's a happier picture from a couple days ago: 


2 comments:

  1. good to see her pics. she's looking beautiful. Have a wonderful time guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just spent some time catching up on Waverly. She is such a beautiful child. Thank you for sharing her journey with us. Much love and prayers for all of you. (Bev Pennington Wood)

    ReplyDelete