Thursday, July 12, 2012

Conversations

This morning, I had a quick but sad-to-my-heart conversation with my 5-year-old.

K: "When Waverly gets older, she'll be like, 'Your name's Kathryn, and my name's Waverly."  pause....  "She'll say that mom, right?"
me: "What do you mean?"
K: "Will she say that?  She will, right?"
me: "Well......, she probably won't be able to talk.  But she can still talk to us in her way."
K: "Yeah, like she can say 'hmmm' and cute stuff like that!"
me: "Yup, she talks to us in her own way.  And that's very special.  Just like it's special how you talk to us too!"

It's so hard for me to not feel like I am dashing her hopes in who her sister is going to be.  I know kids are resilient and often it's our own perceptions imposed on them and their feelings.  I try to be honest but gentle in my answers to her questions, which are actually pretty few and far between.  But they are still hard for my mama's heart.  In the meantime, I know that the Lord is molding her into an amazing person who will have such a compassion and heart for others.  The matter-of-fact way she deals with some of these hard things, like seizures and seeing her sister blue and noticing that she's different from other babies is already shaping who she is and who she will become.  I pray often for the Lord's plan for these two older kids and all they are experiencing through this. 

2 comments:

  1. We shall pray to God, one day Waverly can talk to her family on her own way. God bless All Family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They will love Waverly every bit as much as they would any other sibling, and maybe even more. And their characters will be forever different from taking part in loving their special baby sister, and in watching how you love and value her for the wonderfully special little person that she is. Love you all, and am so proud and blessed to be your Mom, and their Grammy.

    ReplyDelete